Sunday 30 June 2013

I rub my husband’s back as he eats my vegetable soup –Former Lagos Deputy Gov. Sarah Sosan

sarah
Former Lagos Deputy Gov. Princess Sarah Adebisi Sosan
Every morning when he wakes up and beholds the skyline of the Centre of Excellence, Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola (SAN) most probably smiles in appreciation to God for the invaluable contributions made towards the success of his administration by the highly cerebral women that are running with his vision to transform Lagos.
In her days as the Deputy Governor of the state, during Fashola’s first term, Princess Sarah A. Sosan (OFR), brought a touch of panache to the way she handled her responsibilities, both as Fashola’s deputy and the Honourable of Commissioner of Education. As she reveals, the reforms that took place in the education sector of the state make her particularly happy. In this interview, she talks about life out of office and the enduring romantic relationship between her and the husband. Excerpts…
How has life been since you left office as the Deputy Governor of Lagos State?
Well, it has been so interesting because my time is now my time and I can manage it my own way. I can do things at programmed times unlike the dictates of the office which required me to do certain things whether I liked them or not. So, it’s been quite less stressful and I’ve been enjoying it a lot especially as I’m now involved in my private activities.
What do you miss most being out of office?
I think I miss our Monday meeting which was like being with one’s family members, where we shared jokes, threw banters and yet did serious business such that most times we didn’t even leave till night. But it feels good that one has given one’s own best towards the development of the state.
During that time when you were always surrounded by aids who sometimes wouldn’t even allow your old pals get close and chat with you, what did the office prevent you from enjoying freely and you had to act like former President Obasanjo, who once had to stop his convoy to patronize a roasting corn by the roadside?
I did not miss a lot because I’m a peoples’ person and I tried to mix a lot mix more with people during that time. While I was in office, I used to wave aside my aides to let my people come to me. Even now, thank God, there are still some pecks of the office that I still enjoy. So, it is not that one is missing anything. It is always nice to have people around you because only then will you get to know their problem and be able to offer adequate and appropriate service to them. So, the point is that if you serve your people well, they would want to come to you.
You are always looking fresh, happy and cheerful. What is the secret?
When you have Jesus you have everything. I thank God that I’m in Christ and He is in me. So it is because I’m a good Christian and I thank God for His mercies. I think the joy of Christ is what makes me happy always. People say I smile a lot and the reason is that I have Jesus and I have self-contentment. I have peace, joy, good health and everything that Christ gives. That is the reason for my freshness so to say.
As you are not presently occupied with the busy schedules of the office, do you find time to cook for your husband?
I have always cooked for my husband even while in office. It’s my duty as a wife to cook for my husband, so why not? Though I didn’t usually find time to cook for him every day while in office, but I do that more often now.
What do you usually tell him at the dining table while watching him enjoy your meals?
(Laughs) You know, most times we do not eat together because we run different schedules. And these days that many of us are minding what we eat, it’s not a regular dining table affair. But I use to tell him that I thank God for his life; that I’m happy having him as the love of my life and that he would be mine forever.
Do you also rub his back and he would smile and tell you how delicious the food is?
Yes, especially if it’s vegetable soup. (Laughs heartily).
Is vegetable soup his favourite?
He always looks forward to it as his special one. He takes plenty of vegetable with little carbohydrate foods such as rice. He loves eating plenty of vegetable.
What would he not miss eating in the morning?
A cup of coffee; he can’t miss his cup of coffee.
What’s your favourite food?
It used to be fried plantain and egg. But these days, due to high consciousness about eating and living healthy, most times, I skip it and make more of salad – more vegetable and less carbohydrate.
You always dress decently, fashionably and moderately too. What would you not wear to an event?
I have to dress to match the occasion. And I dress for comfort, too. I can never wear anything that will expose my body because I respect my body so much. That is why I hate seeing women expose to the public what is meant for their future husbands or what should be kept private. I can never expose any part of my body publicly in any dress.
You seem to be looking younger now than while in office.
I thank God for His mercies; I really thank Him…
Meaning that it’s true?
People say it and I think it’s because the stress of the office is off. Now I have more time to relax. I think that’s just the reason.
Does your husband still take you out?
We go out for lunch often, sometimes with the whole family. We go out for lunch, dinner or whatever especially on special occasions.
What was the last Valentine’s day present he bought for you?
It was a perfume.
What is the name of the perfume?
I do not want to share it with the public. It’s between my husband and I and he is the only one that should be buying it for me.
What would you prepare for your husband while expecting him back from a long travel?
It would be fish pepper soup and vegetable with lots of fish. He doesn’t take meat any longer.
During your time, parents used to choose spouses for their children. Was that the case with you and your husband?
I was lucky my parents did not choose for me; I chose for myself and they all accepted him well.
So, how did you find each other?
It was just like everyone finds each other. You can meet in churches, school, everywhere. But I thank God that I chose right.
How and where did you meet him?
Just the way people usually meet. We met as people meet.
There must be something he said to you that made you smile and nod. What was that?
I can’t remember now (Laughs). But I’m sure I chose right and I thank God that I chose right.
How would you describe him?
He is really a homely person and caring man; a father to the core. He cares so much about people especially the less privileged and he is always ready to help others.
How did you say yes to him?
It wasn’t an easy thing at all. It was after about five years that everything culminated into marriage.
What would you consider as your greatest achievement while in office such that each time you look back and remember it, you feel happy and grateful to God?
I think the major achievements are the reforms that we put in place especially in the education sector. And I’m glad that anywhere I go, people commend what we had done then and the success of the administration. I’m really proud of our reforms in education. I thank God for giving me the privilege to work with Mr Babatunde Fashola, (SAN); and for the National Leader of our party, the ACN, Ashiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu as well as our party members in Lagos for choosing right.
Many people prefer referring to you as a career person rather than a politician. But, politically, are you thinking of taking a higher political step in near future, especially in 2015?
To God belongs all glory and to Him belongs tomorrow. I’m still a politician and a progressive one for that matter. So, I’ll continue to be a politician and keep learning more and more the intricacies of the politics. And I’ll continue to get better by the day. Remember the saying that all humans are political animals.
Source: The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment