Wednesday 29 May 2013


NSCDC nabs suspected pipeline vandal


The suspect and NSCDC officials
A suspected pipeline vandal, Chukwunonso Ogbuwagwu, has been arrested by the Lagos State Command of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, for transporting stolen fuel.
According to the Commandant, NSCDC, Lagos State Command, Clement Adesuyi, the suspect was arrested while transporting 17 drums of petrol in a van.
Adesuyi alleged that the suspect was the leader of a gang of pipeline vandals and would soon be prosecuted.
He said, “Through intelligence, we intercepted the vehicle which the suspect was driving and discovered 17 drums of petrol suspected to have been gotten from vandalised oil pipelines. He will be prosecuted after investigations.
“Investigations revealed that he is the kingpin of his gang.”
Ogbuwagwu, however, denied the allegations, saying he was only used in transporting stolen fuel.
He said he was a driver and was hired by one Baba Tosin, who is currently at large.
He said his job was to drive the vehicle that would be used to transport the fuel from Ajah to Okota area of the state.
He said, “I met Baba Tosin on my way to Abuja a few weeks ago and he told me that he was in need of a driver. I told him he could hire me whenever he had a job and he in turn promised me N4,000 for each operation so we exchanged phone numbers.
“He called me a few weeks later and said he had some goods he wanted to transport. Unfortunately for me, I did not ask him what kind of goods he wanted to convey. We went to a community leader’s house in Ajah and drums of petrol were loaded unto two vans and I was instructed to drive one of the vehicles.
“I asked Baba Tosin why he was transporting fuel in drums but he told me that he had a truck but it was faulty so I believed him so we went successfully and I was paid N4,000.”
The 35-year-old suspect said he was called a second time for another operation and he decided to go again.
Unfortunately for him, men of the NSCDC had been tipped off about the operation.
He said, “Baba Tosin called me for another operation and told me that he would drive one vehicle while I would drive the second one. On our way, civil defence men stopped us. Baba Tosin jumped out of his vehicle and ran away while I was arrested.”

No comments:

Post a Comment