Sunday, 16 June 2013

Wike, a unifying factor in Rivers politics – Jonathan



Mrs. Patience Jonathan
Wife of the President, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, has described the Minister of State for Education, Nyesom Wike, as a unifying factor in the politics of Rivers State.
Jonathan made this remark in Port Harcourt on Saturday during the wedding of a member of the state House of Assembly, Mr. Evans Bipi and Rhoda Sika.
The President’s wife, who was the mother of the day at the event, explained that Wike had made it possible for various groups in the state to unite.
She pointed out that her presence and that of former governors of the state at the event was made possible by the minister.
The former governors of the state in attendance were Dr. Peter Odili, Chief Rufus Ada George and Celestine Omehia while ex-members of the state House of Assembly also attended the event.
The President’s wife, however, urged the people of state and the South-South to be united in moving their zone forward.
Describing Rivers and Bayelsa states as one, Jonathan expressed delight that it was the first time she was honoured in such a gorgeous manner since her husband became Vice-President and later President.
“I grew up in Rivers State, but I have never seen a gathering of the movers and shakers of this state (Rivers) in this way. When I say I love Wike, people don’t understand. If not for him, I would not have this opportunity to be here.
“It is good to be good. Both Rivers and Bayelsa are one because Bayelsa was created out of the old Rivers State and nobody can separate the two states. But the people must come together in peace and speak with one voice.
“Wike has brought us together and let us thank him and I doff my hat for him (Wike) and I thank Rivers people too,” she added.
Jonathan described Port Harcourt as a choice destination because of its garden city status and expressed optimism that the state capital would return to what it used to be in no distant time.
She said, “I know that during the time of Chief Rufus Ada George and Dr. Peter Odili as governors of Rivers State, everybody wanted to come to Port Harcourt, which was called Garden City, but I pray that it (Port Harcourt) will return to what it used to be so that we and our children can be proud of it.”
However, the state Governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi and his wife, Judith, did not show up at the event.
The event caused gridlock on most of the roads in Port Harcourt, even as security was beefed up around the venue of the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment