Sunday 18 August 2013

I listen to country music before going to bed — 80-year-old accountant

AUGUST 18, 2013 

Ashaye
In this interview with MOTUNRAYO JOEL, 80-year-old Olumuyiwa Babington-Ashaye shares his life experience and success secrets
Where and when were you born?
I was born on July 30, 1933 in Lagos State. However, my parents hail from Ogere Remo in Ogun State. People call me Sunday sometimes, and my mother also told me I was born on a Sunday. I also have a calendar that dates back to the year I was born.
Your father was the Ologere of Ogere, Oba Alfred Babington-Ashaye. How was it like growing up in a royal home?
My father married 15 wives. And in my family, there are 14 children – seven boys and seven girls. Three of them are dead. I am the first of all the children, though the only child of my mother.  I related well with my step- siblings and we were always together. I still keep in touch with them.
Where did you have your education?
I started my education at Olowogbowo Methodist School, Lagos and my secondary school at St. Gregory’s College, Obalende, Lagos.
I worked briefly with the then Barclays Bank, now Union Bank. After that, I travelled to England in 1957 to study Accountancy. I first qualified as a chartered secretary and then as a chartered accountant.
Why did you choose to become an accountant since there were other popular options in those days?
This was a profession that wasn’t in the forefront at the time. In the whole of Nigeria then, there were about two or three accountants, one of them was Akintola Williams. That was why I took up the profession. I didn’t understand why there were few accountants in Nigeria and the urge to know why pushed me into the profession.
What was the experience like?
At the time in England, before you could become a chartered accountant, you would need to do your articleship, which is also called apprenticeship. They will give you a specific period of five years. You would have to write an examination within this period. But before you are even articled, it would take quite some time, because the whites didn’t feel comfortable having blacks around. Being an accountant, you would have first-hand information of the company’s details and they (whites) wanted to be sure they could trust you. So no one wanted to employ blacks. Blacks were called animals, uncivilised people. Even getting an accommodation was a challenge. On the street, you would see signposts such as ‘no coloured and Irish allowed.’
There was no reason to settle down over there. Nigeria is my home. I’m a black man and black is meant for Africa. It never crossed my mind to live abroad despite spending 13 years there. And at that time, people travelled to the UK to study and not to settle down. Moreover, your salary is the same. What you earned in the UK was what you would earn in Nigeria. The naira was very strong.
Where did you work on your return from the UK?
I was offered a job at Akintola Williams, after which I worked in the Oil and Gas sector for several years.
At what age did you then get married?
I got married at the age of 25, in July 1958. I was in the UK and I was lonely, so I needed a companion. My girlfriend who was in Lagos was also feeling lonely. So, we thought there was no need waiting again and decided to get married. Another reason why we got married was because we didn’t want to live in sin; we wanted to do things the right way.
How many children do you have?
I have seven children from my second wife. I married her on December 15, 1973. My children are doing well in their careers.
What about your first wife?
We separated due to some personal reasons.
How did you meet your second wife?
I met her at a friend’s party in Ibadan, but I didn’t get the opportunity to talk to her. To be honest, the moment I saw her, I knew she was mine. The next day, I went to my friend’s house and asked if he knew where she was residing and then he directed me to her house. I introduced myself to her, we then exchanged numbers.
What does success mean to you?
Success, in my view, is the fulfilment of your ambitions. My belief is that as a young person, if you have a great aim, you need a strong attitude and perseverance to attain it. And once you achieve your ambitions, you can be tagged as a successful man or woman. Achieving success is not difficult, all you need is self-confidence. Success doesn’t necessarily mean having so much money; it’s just being able to achieve your set goals. Your success should give you happiness.
Based on your definition, will your say that you are a fulfilled man?
Yes of course, because looking back at my background, my mother, who was a fashion designer, waited for 10 years before giving birth to me. I never thought I would go to a school like St. Gregory’s all my life, but I did and I made sure I remained focused in school. Right from my childhood, I had an ambition to become a successful man. I have never lived in a rented apartment. My school, St. Gregory’s was a school made up of successful boys who are still successful till date. They were called the ‘Brazilian boys’, and I looked up to these boys and had the intention of becoming successful. I remained focused. In life, you must have a focus; you don’t need to copy anybody’s way of life, just be yourself. I can proudly say that I’m a happy and fulfilled man. In life, I have no regret.
During your youth, what activities did you enjoy?
I enjoyed boxing. I was popularly known as ‘terrible ashus,’ a brief word for Ashaye. I had strong punches. If I punch you, you must definitely go down. I was a good boxer. But I stopped boxing the day my mother caught me boxing in school. I also enjoyed swimming, running and theatre arts.
What makes you happy now?
Listening to country music is a hobby that makes me happy. Every night, I listen to country music before going to bed. It gives me courage and ambition. It also soothes my soul. You learn a lot from them. Ebenezer Obey is one of my favourite Nigerian artistes.
What special thing can you remember about your youthful days?
Girls liked me. Even at my mother’s shop, there were so many girls there who used to buy things for me. There was no attachment, they just liked me.
What difference have you noticed between your time and now?
Honesty is rare these days. There was nothing like rigging and exam malpractices in my days. People were honest, including our leaders. In those days, we loved to teach children the right way, but things are different today.
What is your best food?
My best food is yam porridge with fish.
How do you keep your body in shape?
I walk a lot, but honestly I think it’s God’s help that keeps me healthy. People may not know this about me, but I’m very conscious of God. I believe there is somebody that I cannot see who is around me. He is the reason for my achievement. He keeps directing me. Right from my childhood, I always called on God to protect me, when I wanted  to go out or do something terrible, and He hears me. When I was young, I used to pray for God to include me among the successful ones even up till today.
I advise young ones to make God their best friend. You don’t need to tell anyone about your problems, just call on God. He knows you even more than your parents or spouse. When I was in England, I failed an exam twice. I kept asking myself what the problem was. I went to see a vicar in church. When I got there he was drinking wine and offered me, but I refused. I told him about my situation and he advised me to work hard. I wasn’t still comfortable with his advice. Then I asked myself, if I was in Nigeria what would I do about this situation, that was when I decided I should fast and pray. I fasted for some time and one day I dreamt that I should be reading particular passages of the Psalms in the Bible. I did it and passed my examination. I believe that when you have any problem, you should call on God. It all depends on your confidence and courage. When I go to church, I go there to do business with God and not with my mates. I hear people pass comments in church about dressing, but that is not my business, I have come to do business with God. When you call on Him, He will give you three answers – yes, no and wait.
I have never used my money to open any bank account. Whenever I approach banks for loans, they open an account for me and give me the money. The most important thing in life is to have confidence in oneself. I once wrote to a former governor of Lagos State that I was born and bred in Lagos and that I needed a land. He gave me the land. Fear hinders people from making a big move in life.
As the son of a king, people would think you have everything in life…
That is true because I have heard people saying it. But that isn’t the case. I’m very contented with what I have. I may not have what you have, but I won’t envy you. Growing up, I didn’t have all what I wanted, but I was content. I wasn’t jealous of anybody. I believe everyone has their time to shine. Even when my friends were building houses and I could not even afford a block, I still helped them. I just knew my own time would come. If you’re my friend and you’re successful, one day, your success will affect me positively. If you pull down your friend, you are indirectly pulling down yourself.
At 80, you still look great…
My prayer is to enjoy my old age than my youth. Everyday, I pray that God should help me to be self sufficient even as I grow older. But if God spares me, I pray to live to be 100 years.
You married your second wife 40 years ago, what is your advice to youths on marriage?
Young men should think about themselves first before getting married. Couples must base their togetherness on the foundation of love. To women, she must marry for love sake and not for money gains. If you marry too early, you may want to jump out.
What is the secret behind your love for your wife?
She is very caring. The woman must be able to take care of the home and family. She shouldn’t neglect the husband because of the children. When I go out, she waits for me to come home before eating.
At what age did you consider yourself to be a rich man?
I think I was 40 years. I was humble about it and my friends too advised on what to do. I was happy with myself.
How do you keep yourself busy?
I still go to the farm. I even call myself a farmer. I have a cassava farm, piggery and others. I enjoy farming. Everyone should engage in farming because it is good.
Which of the political parties do you support?
I don’t support any of them. They all don’t have an ideology and I don’t know what they have to offer Nigerians. They have no focus. All the parties are the same. They are fighting for their individual interest.
Which of the Lagos State governors has impressed you the most?
I will choose Governor Mobolaji Johnson, he was  approachable. He wasn’t a politician like other governors. Bola Tinubu just wanted a name for himself, I won’t be surprised if his wife becomes the next governor. For me, Johnson was the best.
What is your advice to Nigerian leaders?
Everything in life is temporary, sooner or later we will answer the call of God. And once you answer the call, judgement is next. There is no lawyer to defend you over there. You won’t be able to take any money to your grave. I will also want them to read Ecclesiastes12:13-14 always.

No comments:

Post a Comment