Friday 30 August 2013

From theatre to rap

AUGUST 30, 2013  

Oladokun
Despite training as a neurologist at the Middlesex University, London, Taiwo Oladokun, still could not suppress his love for music.  Going down memory lane, the practising neurologist at the National Health Service, in Cambridge, in the UK, says it was a tough call, trying to win the blessings of his parents.
 “They were shocked when I started showing an interest in music, while I was still in school. Their fear was that I would jettison my studies as a neurologist and they made it known to me without mincing words that they would not support the idea. But my passion for music is greater than my parents’ aspiration for me. I however assured them that I would not give room for my music career to affect my education, and they eventually gave in, albeit, reluctantly,” he says.
Upon graduation, Oladokun pitched his tent with NHS, but constantly fought hard to suppress the urge to do music. He soon gave in and launched a career as a song writer, singer and producer. Fame came calling when he became a regular feature on radio and television stations, in the UK. Yet, Oladokun maintains it does not affect his day job as a neurologist.
Drawing inspiration from the likes of Chief Ebenezer Obey and King Sunny Ade, the artiste,  whose hit songs titled Angel and If I Catch You, are said to be making waves on UK charts, says, “The younger generation of Nigerian artistes have a lot of things to learn from the Nigerian music legends. What I have on airplay is not hip hop that is influenced by the western culture, but music that gives the listeners an idea of my roots. That is the attraction and I believe the UK audience appreciate this lot.”
 He says he intends to produce collaborative songs with P Square, Wizkid, Flavour and 2Face Idibia. “These artistes have made an impact through their uniqueness, and I believe in being very unique. My new album project will feature them and my management team is putting the logistics in place to actualize this. I believe I can make a positive impact in people’s lives through my music. I also want to influence my generation and the younger generations by teaching them that they can achieve their dreams by working hard and not relenting on their efforts to succeed in life”, he explains.

No comments:

Post a Comment