Wednesday 13 March 2013


Two Years Into Marriage, Teacher Seeks Divorce Over Alleged Battery

Two years into her marriage, a 27-year-old teacher is praying an Agege Customary Court in Lagos to dissolve the union over alleged battery and threat to her life by her husband.
Mrs Rukayat Bankole, who lives at 14, Adelabi St., Agege, told the court on Wednesday that her husband, Tosin, was hot-tempered and could kill her.
"He hit me on the breast when my child was merely two weeks old; the injury was so severe that I stopped breast feeding.
"I have heard so many cases of husbands killing their wives; I don't want my case to be like that," she said.
However, Tosin, 33, denied the allegations.
"My wife is adulterous; she doesn't stay at home.
"The first time I beat her was the day she was deleting some items from her phone," he said.
Tosin, a factory worker, blamed his strained relationship with his wife on her mother-in-law who, he said, did not love him.
Tosin prayed the court to save the marriage, saying that he still loved his wife.
The Court President, Mr Emmanuel Sokunle, told the couple to maintain the peace.
He urged the husband and wife to bring their parents to court on March 25 for possible reconciliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment