Sunday 10 March 2013


Fashion Is Part Of Me – Dairo

Morolake Dairo is an Abuja-based upcoming fashion designer, whose dream is to take Nigerian culture to the rest of the world through his outlet. He tells Kehinde Ajobiewe of his dreams and aspiration.
What do you find most fascinating about fashion designing?
Fashion is a part of my life. I love the sense of creativity it gives me. It’s another way by which I express myself. The idea of seeing my finished garment on another person is a great feeling.
Tell us about your educational background?
I am a graduate of Political Science from Imo State University, Owerri. Also presently, I am pursuing an MBA at the WITS Business School, South Africa.
How long have you been in the fashion industry?
I have been in the fashion business for a long time now. I started as a model, at age 18, and moved on to designing which was my passion, as I could sketch and had quite a creative imagination.
Why fashion designing?
Like I said, it comes natural to me. So, I am stuck with it. (Laughs) There is nothing as beautiful as doing what you love.
What are your fashion goals?
My one major goal is to become a successful brand name in another five years, in and out of Nigeria, with an authentic, original, and high-quality ready-to-wear line.
Tell us more about your collections, what kind of wears do you make?
I decided this year to go into ready-to-wear. I’m currently working on a collection of corporate and casual outfits for women between the ages of 21 years to 50 years. Outfits that can be worn to church, the office, wedding and cocktail parties.
I also have a T-shirt line which is about to kick-off soon too. I’m partnering with Fiammare to make that one a success. All collections are being worked on in South Africa at the moment, due to production factors we have in Nigeria.
What are the major challenges of fashion designing in Nigeria?
Biggest frustration is lack of funding for upcoming designers. It’s sad that there are no funding schemes for the fashion industry in Nigeria, by the banks or the government. An average designer has to struggle real hard to succeed. Also, we do not have good fabrics in Nigeria to produce good quality outfits or samples, and well-tailored outfits.
The ban on importation of fabric hasn’t helped at all. There is the absence of CMT (cut, make and trim) units in Nigeria, where designers can get their clothes made properly, as they have all over the world, even in countries like India. I don’t know why we cannot afford it, as it will make life easier for designers.
Recently, Emmy Collins, an international designer from Nigeria, has taken it upon himself to see about how to resolve this issue in our fashion industry, because, the truth be told, we don’t have one yet. How many designers are making good money as their counterparts outside Nigeria? The fashion industry is a lucrative one and also a job providing industry, if only the Federal Government and investors can look into it and help fund it, as the South African government and investors are doing.
What inspires you?
My inspiration comes from everything I see – a walk in the park, a book I read, my imagination and being aware of my surrounding. Influences from several different sources get me thinking, and lead to new ideas. I’m always open and aware of my environment and also fashion trends. I also keep a sketch book handy.
Who are your clienteles?
I am working on expanding my clientele here in and outside Nigeria from my next collection. Business is good so far, but it could be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment