Tuesday 24 September 2013

Heavy Rainfalls Wrecks Havoc in Edo

 

A flood ravaged area
It was tales of woes for most  residents of Benin City, the Edo State capital  on Monday following heavy rains which lasted for several hours disrupting commercials activities just as inhabitants around erosion prone areas counted their losses.

The rain which started at about 6:30am also left most part of the city flooded.

Commercial areas like ring road, forestry, third junction and new Benin area had most stores and retail businesses locked up as a result of the intensity of the rains.

Magdalene Ohis, says she had to lock up her stores because there was really no point opening since the rains prevented most people from coming out of their homes.

While business owners counts lost, so also are some others who suffered lost occasioned by the flood that followed the heavy down pour.

At Ugbioyokho, parts of GRA, Ikpoba Hill, College Road area off Ekenwan and parts of textile mills and Aduwawa were the areas most affected by flood.

Several houses and properties around these areas were taken over by flood.

Cordelia Igbe says her house and properties were not spared by the flood occasioned by the flood which lasted for several hours.

According to her: “I was in the office when I received a phone call from my neighbour to come home quick as flood has entered my apartment.

“I had to take excuse from my boss and rushed home. What I saw was not what I bargained for at all.  Am really confused I don’t know what to do.”

The heavy down pour it learnt became another sad story as the roads in most of the flooded areas were rendered impassable by the flood.

No comments:

Post a Comment